YukunL Blog for EDCI-337

Hi~Hi~~Hi~~~

Weekly blog 5

Active learning

Students who actively learn will establish a cycle between themselves and the teacher. The teacher imparts knowledge, students will think, remember, summarize what they have learned, and finally ask questions, and then the teacher will answer their questions. In this process, students will "understand how to learn, increased knowledge retention, deeper learning experience, increased learner outcomes, facilitation of learning"(What is…Active Learning?)
Students who actively learn will establish a cycle between themselves and the teacher. The teacher imparts knowledge, students will think, remember, summarize what they have learned, and finally ask questions, and then the teacher will answer their questions. In this process, students will “understand how to learn, increased knowledge retention, deeper learning experience, increased learner outcomes, facilitation of learning“(What is…Active Learning?)

Gamification

The most difficult thing about the game is its “timely feedback” mechanism, which gives players a sense of participation and accomplishment. If this is introduced into education, boring learning will become a lot more fun. I am a senior game player. Every time I play a game, what brings me happiness is to achieve the game goal, the process of the game and my own thinking during the gameplay.

For example: Solve a physical problem. We can calculate according to a fixed formula; as long as we do enough practice, we can always answer the physical questions. But the students who get the answer may still dislike physics. But in the game: If you are a hunter, you need to accurately calculate the impact of wind speed and distance on bullets during hunting. While gaining happiness, gain knowledge and thinking.

On Steam, you can search for a game called “The Hunter: Call of the Wild.”( Also is my favourite game). The following video is a live game of an anchor. Through the video, we can see that hunting a deer is not only as simple as aiming and shooting. We also need to calculate the environmental variables (wind speed, distance, key to the prey). Textbooks, videos and ppt can’t describe this real experience.

Bibliography

MBR University. (2019, November 9). What is…Active Learning? [Mp4]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9esoCjjUGQ

F. (2018, November 16). Starting Over at Level 1 | theHunter Call of the Wild [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq2AKGBpOjQ&feature=youtu.be

1. patrickg14 June 24, 2021

Hi Yukun,

Nice post! The hunter looks like a fun game to play, but I think it’s practically a game instead of game-based learning, maybe you can also discuss something like how game-based learning is applied to education. I’m sure this game will be a good learning material for hunters or someone who wants to learn how to hunt wild animals!

2. rahma June 25, 2021

Hi Yukun,

I also talked about gamification in my last blog post, specifically on education. It was interesting to know a lot of games can be beneficial towards the learning process and I strongly believe gamification can positively impact learning outcomes. I have also come across a study on gamification with autistic children. gamification has been approved of as an effective way of learning, especially when teaching students diagnosed with autism and this is really amazing to know.

Best,
    Rahma.